Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Apparently I'm a sub for the Air Force...

I was not sure what to expect when I showed up to the local high school this morning to sub for Air Force JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps). Having never been in the Air Force, I was not sure how well I would be to instruct this different class.

When the kids came in, I was happily surprised. The "class leadership" (kids who were in charge) started taking roll, got the class completely quiet and then turned it over to me. I have actually never seen more responsible teenagers. As a group, each class was very well disciplined and they kept each other in line, doing what they were supposed to. When I spoke, they did not make a peep. When they asked to go to the restroom they stood at attention and said "Sir, may I use the restroom."

I was sure that I had stepped into some weird version of The Twilight Zone. Kids, just are not that well behaved in school... at least not the normal kids I teach. Perhaps the JROTC teacher should be giving classroom management seminars to the rest of the teachers in the district. My favorite part of the day was when a whole platoon standing in formation saluted me. That is definitely a first for me as a sub.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love this post. I can just imagine you getting saluted!

    ReplyDelete