Saturday, February 2, 2013

Marketing and Adultery

Several weeks ago, I had the most unusual conversation with a marketing student at the high school I was subbing at. Mark was a junior, 4.0 GPA, and already had his life planned out. He told me that he planned on earning a degree in business and becoming very rich through the stock market. He also said that he wanted to get married in his early twenties and have a son that he would name after himself. Then, after being married for five years or so, he would most likely get bored with being married and his wife would always be nagging him, and so he would have to have an affair with another women. He told me that it would probably be with his secretary or an intern, but if that didn't work out, he would go to a prostitute.

I was sitting there in shock as he told me his plans for the future. I asked him if he even had a moral compass, knowing right from wrong. He assured me that he did, but he could turn it off when he wanted to in order to do what he wanted. I told him that his wife would leave him, but he didn't seem to mind. He liked the idea of being single with a son. I told him he was crazy if he thought his son would want to live with him after he cheated on his wife. I gave him many more reasons as to why his plans for adultery were gearing him up to be a failure at life, but I never felt like I got through to him. Sadly, I believe he was very serious about his plans, and I fear he will do much more damage to the world (through seeking money and sex) instead of making it a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment