Monday, January 21, 2013

A Whole Class Swearing at the Teacher

This one is a doozy! I was subbing for high school pottery class (not something I would recommend in retrospect), and it was second period and I was reading through the attendance lists for the rest of my classes for that day. At the start of every class period, I have to take attendance for the class by calling out each student's name. This would be fine, except that the names parents are giving kids these days are not always easy to pronounce. Therefore, a good look through early in the day gives me time to decide how I will read their name during roll call. Well as I read through the names for the classes after lunch, there was one name that I could not figure out what to do with, because everything I learned from school and Hooked on Phonics was telling me that the correct pronunciation of this young person's name sounded exactly like the F-word.  I texted several friends during lunch for advice on how to deal with the coming storm, and most of them just laughed in disbelief at how weird of a situation this was.  When it came to it, I decided that I could not read this name out loud. Not only is it against school rules for teachers to swear in class (let alone, the most offensive swear word there is in the English language- poor kid), but I also am very uncomfortable swearing in the first place. So when I came to this person on the roster, I said, "I'm probably going to butcher this pronunciation, so I'll just spell it out." Then all the kids in the class started saying things like, "Oh, that's F***"; "F***, F***, F***." and I really couldn't get them in trouble for saying someone's name, but it was very awkward for me. It ended up that the student was from another country where his name is quite common. Also, I found out later in the day, during a different class, that he went by Charles (funny how he neglected to mention that during class). If I have him in class again, I'm just going to say Charles.

Join this story by posting a comment of the most unusual name you have heard (in school or anywhere else that people with crazy names are traveling about). Post the name and where you met this person.

2 comments:

  1. Mylove
    Saylove
    Kalix
    La-A (Pronounced La-dash-a)
    Jaylee
    Life
    Tally
    Astara
    Kazahiro
    Sunshine

    I worked in a lot of weird daycares

    ReplyDelete