Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Recess Tetherball: We Meet Again!

When I was in elementary school, tetherball was my game. I played it everyday at recess and became quite good. I loved it so much that my parents put in a tetherball court in our backyard for my 13th birthday. All this to say that I am no amateur when it comes to the wonderful game of tetherball.

Yesterday, I took my third grade class out to recess and I was challenged by one of the little girls to a game of tetherball. I accepted, knowing that I would have to take it easy on the girl. After playing for a few minutes, I realized that if I did not step up my game, I was going to lose... quickly. So I let my notions of "taking it easy" go to the wind and I stepped up my game to a whole new level, holding nothing back. I hit the ball hard and used my height as an advantage (I was at least two feet taller than the little girl). The sad thing was that with all my advantages, it seemed that it was still a toss up as to who would win this game. I knew in my heart of hearts that I could not, under any circumstances, lose at MY game to a third grade little girl, so I gave it everything I had and finally hit the ball so hard and at the perfect angle to wrap around the pole high above the girl's reach. Perhaps this was a dirty way to win the game, but I had to do something; my honor was on the line. Right after I creamed the little girl, another girl challenged me to play against her. By this time, my energy was just about gone (apparently it takes a lot of talent to beat a kid in tetherball these days).  I told this new contender that I had to supervise the other kids at recess, so I wouldn't be able to play her. This quick thinking probably saved me from what could have been the most embarrassing moment of my life.


Share about a time you were beaten at your own game.

No comments:

Post a Comment