Friday, January 25, 2013

The British are coming! The British are coming!


Several months ago, I was subbing for seventh grade math. As I was passing out papers, a girl raised her hand and asked to go to the bathroom... in an English accent. I let her go, but while she was gone, I wondered if she had pulled a fast one on me and was not actually from England. Just in case, I listened to her the rest of the class and tried to catch her using the wrong accent, but her voice sounded just like the characters in Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Sherlock and Downton Abbey (all the BBC shows I watch), so by the end of the class I was convinced that she was in fact English. But then as she left, her charade fell to shreds as I overheard her talking to her friends in a normal American accent. I will admit that I had been fooled, but at the same time I was truly impressed that a 13 year old girl would have the guts to talk in a fake voice to a teacher, and that she got away with it.

Today, I was reminded of this story when a seventh grade girl at a different school was talking to me in an English accent. Don't worry, I was not fooled again. I just smiled to myself, knowing that she was a fraud, and that I knew her secret.

What was the craziest thing you ever said to a teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment