Thursday, January 17, 2013

King Miller

My typical substitute teach alias is "Mr. Miller." My normal routine is to greet the kids as they come in with a smile and tell them good morning. Once everyone is in the room, I tell them they can call me Mr. Miller. Usually this is all they need to know to start addressing me by that title, but my first time teaching the third grade, they kept calling me Miss Miller, and it started to irritate me, so I reminded them that my name was Mister Miller, and made a side comment that they could even call me King Miller, just as long as they didn't call me Miss. Well for some reason, King Miller stuck. The rest of the day, that was my name. 

"King Miller, can I go to the bathroom?" 
"King Miller, can I borrow a piece of tape?" 
"King Miller, Emma hit me in the face with her math book"

At first, I thought it was pretty funny, then it started to feel very nice, almost like I was royalty. After all the months of subbing, I was finally being given the respect that I deserved...

I have never been able to get a class to call me King Miller again, but the memory of that day still brings a smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment